Friday, February 6, 2015

Settimana a due: Week 2, Day 16

I think I’m going to like my painting class a lot – my professor is this cute, little old lady from Ireland, and she really cares about an artists expression and personal style rather than following the rules too closely. I’m curious to see if I’ll like the mediums (acrylic, oil pastel, and others) because I am so in love with painting with oils that this will be a challenge for me!

I FINALLY FOUND CONTACT SOLUTION!! Paige and I decided not to take the tram home from school last Thursday because it was WAY too packed, and the day before two students had phones and wallets stolen from them on a crowded tram. So we walked home, and found some in the farmacia closer to school on Trastevere. After wearing my contacts for three days, my eyes were finally able to breathe!

On Friday, (no one has class on Friday), all of my roommates and I decided to wander around for the day.  So we got off at the end of the tramline near Piazza Venezia, and explored parts of Rome we hadn’t seen yet for the next five hours. We went into four different churches, saw the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain (which is unfortunately under construction for the duration of our stay), and many other landmarks that I wish I knew what they were! There’s just so much to soak in it’s hard to get it all. Plus everything has an Italian or Latin name, so it’s harder to remember what they’re called!

(this was just another cool looking Piazza)

(The Spanish Steps)


While we were out, we went to this very touristy restaurant near the Spanish Steps and ordered pizza. It was pretty good, but I’m sure there’s much better pizza awaiting us somewhere in the city! Then that night we had two of our friends over, Danny and Matt, and we made Spaghetti with a meat sauce that Danny spent almost all day making! It was delicious! We called it wine night because everyone except for me was having some nice Italian wine – I don’t drink at all!

We spent the rest of the weekend either exploring or lounging. We stumbled upon an old ruin that looks similar to the Coloseum, the Circus Maximus (which is where the chariot races were), and the Baths of Caracalla. A few of us went back to the baths to tour them because it was free on Sunday. I cannot even begin to explain how large and old they are. Simply beautiful. Except for the floors composed of intricate tile patterns – nothing simple about that!


         Circus  Maximus                


Baths of Caracalla






Sunday was a rest and homework day, so I read a lot of books. I’m trying to get ahead in my Screenwriting class so I have less work to worry about in the future, and the literature and films are actually enjoyable. I have read and watched The Philadelphia Story, Double Indemnity, and read five short stories by Daphne Du Maurier so far. I’ve also been keeping up with my readings for my Film Genres class, and putting in my time for my painting class. Just writing this paragraph makes me grateful for the classes I get to take here!

This week, Kasey, Paige, and I booked our flights to Ireland for the week of spring break. Paige is going to Galway to visit some friends that are there this semester, so Kasey and I are going to make our way to Galway, Cork, and Dublin, and possibly see about a castle in Scotland… Kasey and I also were able to book a flight to Prague, and we’re crossing our fingers that Paige and Jennifer are able to book it soon so we can all go together!

Last night, we went out to eat at the restaurant called Tony’s, which might be slightly touristy but I don’t care because the food was amazing! For 15 euro each, we got a full four-course meal and bottomless wine. There was so much food we were constantly rearranging the table to make room for the dishes. I tried calamari (aka fried squid), which was delicious! And some fried zucchini, which was also amazing. There was penne with some fantastic sauce, Gnocchi with basil and cream sauce, and chicken Parmesan. Then there was tiramisu, which I tried, but even that was too much coffee for me.

Ironically enough, I am sitting in the most adorable café I have ever seen right now – sorry everyone at The Dreamer (aka my place of work), but its true! I am definitely coming back here in the near future, if only for the cornetta di cioccolato (chocolate croissant) and some homework time.

Side note, I feel slightly proud of myself because I was able to tell a man at a grocery store that I am student at the American University of Rome in Italian! Sono una studentessa all American University of Rome.


Observation of the Week: I miss having a dryer. I put my clothes in the washing machine at 8 in the morning on Tuesday, and took them out at 10 (still soaking wet) to hang and dry outside on our balcony. It rained all day. Wednesday morning I brought them inside to my room because cold and wet is not ideal clothes-drying weather, and finally on Thursday I was able to put them away spare a few pairs of heavy socks. I know it sounds like I’m complaining – let’s face it, I am – but I am actually trying to make a point. There are many things here that are very similar to what I am used to, and many things I am not used to at all. For one, I have never lived in a city before, so it’s new, but absolutely confirming of my desires to eventually move to Los Angeles. Of everything that I have experienced in the past two weeks, I think a drying machine is what I will miss the most from America for the duration of my stay. That’s my prediction right now, at least.