Friday, February 27, 2015

Turn down for what? My eardrums, please: Day 37

My sister made it to Italy today! I met her at the airport, where we then waited for six hours for our flight to Catania.

We got a taxi to our hotel, Hotel Miramare – and paid 20 euro for a five minute drive, I might add. This was the first experience I have had really trying to understand someone speaking Italian, and trying my best to use the Italian I know to respond.

We were starving so we asked where we could go to eat and were told to go to Cucaracha right across the street. The interesting experiences continued. The tables were set up in a circle around what looked like a dance floor – we felt like were intruding.

There was a cute old man taking money at the door who didn’t understand us and vice versa, but I was able to understand “mangiare”, which means to eat, so he retrieved who seemed to be the owner who spoke some English and got us a table.


The pizza was impossible to cut with a fork and a butter knife, but I felt like I was already imposing on some event so my sister and I tried to be polite and use our fork to eat the whole time.

Then the DJ turned the music up and the dancing began. I swear to you, for every new song that came on the DJ turned the volume up, but the dancers were very entertaining. This was some authentic Sicilian culture we witnessed, and at one point I wished I could have joined in on the dancing!





I stayed up late Friday night to skype my Leadership family in the Leader Advancement Scholarship Program at the All LAS meeting the Leadership Institute was having to kick off the 2015 LAS Competition Day. It was so great to see so many faces (even though they couldn't hear me), and priceless the reactions everyone had when they realized Katie wasn't just showing them a picture of me.. 
Follow closely... this is a screenshot of a snapchat of a screenshot of my Skype session, featuring the one and only David Walter. 


 Today also is the first day of the Spring 48 hour film competition I normally participate in. My friends in Central Premiere Productions that I was on a team with last semester said I’m their honorary member, and even said I would make an appearance in the credits. And the winner was: “Probably ate spaghetti this weekend.” First of all, there’s a good chance I will eat spaghetti. Second, 5,000 miles apart and these people can still make me cry with laughter. (They didn't actually put me in the credits, sad face).



I would be lying if I said I wasn’t sad that I’m missing all of these things – I already missed my cousins wedding on February 7th, shout out to Betsy and Clint Schneider! However, with the short time my sister has been here, I have been able to put in perspective how much I have learned from my month in Rome.  It’s worth missing one semester of things at home to have and create completely new experiences in my adopted home!


Observation of the Day: You're always missing something somewhere, so enjoy whatever it is you are doing here and now.