Monday, February 23, 2015

Czech It Out!: Day 30-32

(I 100% stole this post's title from my roommate, Kasey.)

Prague, or Praha, of the Czech Republic is a magical city! After a half hour train ride, just under a two hour flight, a half hour shuttle transport to the hostel we booked, a twenty minute wait to be taken to a different hostel (because apparently something was wrong with our room), and a ten minute drive to our next hostel, we were finally ready to explore.

We hadn’t eaten since breakfast, so the first thing we did was eat at a place right around the corner. I ordered a traditional Czech beefsteak with a cream sauce and bread dumplings. 



The beef was great, but the bread dumplings were sickeningly sweet, and I just couldn’t stomach them. When we got the bill, I was both upset and amused to find that my water was a whole ten crown more than the beer my roommates had ordered. Ten crown is only about 35 cents, or trentacinque centesimi, which is about 40 US cents. As they say about Prague, the beer really is cheaper than the water.                                                                
                                                                                                                        
                                               (Wenceslas Square)


After walking around Old Town Square and Charles Bridge for a while, we walked around some more trying to find a bar to go to, and finally decided on an Irish Pub – I know what you’re thinking, but we were tired and just wanted somewhere to sit. On the plus side, they had really good hot chocolate.


(Bubbles in Old Town Square)


 
Let me tell you, those Czech's really know how to work the low, dramatic lighting. Walking around in the dark can be a little frightening, but all the important buildings have spotlights shooting up into the sky leaving a haze of light that's both mysterious and humbling.

 (Tyn - the Gothic exterior/Baroque interior church in Old Town Square that was half of the inspiration for the Disney Castle!)


We spent almost all of our Saturday daylight on a free walking tour provided through the Prague airport shuttle service we had used. It was well worth the time! We saw many of the same things we had seen last night, with the addition of the Prague Castle and beautiful gothic Cathedral. This time, however, we learned so much about the history of Prague, and some of the current social and political life of its people. In the Czech language, the city is called Praha, which originated from the word Prah, or fort, because the city used to be a major fort, as many large cities today in Europe once were. One thing that surprised me was that 75-80% of the population has no declared religion, and the Czech Republic actually has a very high Atheist population.


Charles Bridge
    Lennon Wal
                  Paige signing the Lennon Wall

Amazing view from the hill the Prague Castle is on in Hradčany district.


                          Across the river from Prague Castle, right next to Charles Bridge.





The amazing Gothic architecture of the St. Vitus Cathedral.









Charles Bridge




Wenceslas Square in the daylight


The Astronomical Clock in Old Town Square









That night for dinner I had a skewer with pork, beef, chicken, and onion with French fries and table bread. This time, instead of paying more for water, I got orange juice, which was actually orange soda. At the end of our meal, two men who we think worked in the kitchen, came out several times to play music – it was quite entertaining!




My night was completed with some chocolate covered nuts from Captain Candy, a candy shop we had been eyeing that just has barrels full of candy, and some beautiful music played by street artists with a keyboard and a drum set consisting of pans and buckets. 

Sunday morning we walked to a bridge across from Charles Bridge to get a better view, then did our tourist shopping in the only market in Prague that is open every day of the year right outside of Old Town Square. I had some crown left to spend, so I bought a shot glass for my mom, a bottle-opener magnet for my dad, and some post cards for my sister, my best friend, and myself.



















                                         Sausage for lunch!

     The traditional Czech pastry





Our tour guide mentioned that because of the many different eras of architecture and design that remain in Prague today, films are often shot there because it can be made to look like so many different cities and time periods. If I don’t come back there with my family someday, I hope I do with a film crew.


Next weekend I will be venturing to Sicily – including Siracusa, Catania, and Taormini – with my sister Maggie, who is visiting for her Spring Break!


Observation of the Weekend: Rome feels like home. It was great to travel for the weekend and Prague was magical (if not a little chilly), but when we returned to Rome, I felt like I was home. Rome is so exciting and huge and fun, but also comfortable now.