Thursday, March 19, 2015

I Once River Danced Off A Raft: Day 54-57

Cork is MUCH bigger than Galway, but still not even a huge city. Maybe I’m just used to Rome or something, but it seems pretty average in size.


Actually that old... but is now a coffee shop


Strangest street lights I have ever seen, but this is the main square of Cork

Shout out to my hometown of Morley!

St. Patty’s day was definitely a once in a life-time experience, with the parade, the vendors, the thousands of people celebrating all over the city, the traditional Irish music live, and the traditional Irish dancing. We were one of the first people out and about Tuesdsay morning, but things got going pretty quickly. There were tents of food, gummies, sweets, fudge, and more up and down Grand Parade Street, and green for miles to see. The parade lasted about an hour and a half, which was almost too long because we had no idea who most of the people and groups were, but it was still really authentic to see how this holiday is celebrated by the Irish.

Kasey being weird...

Traditional Irish music at the Festival

A glimpse down Grand Parade Street... hmm, I wonder what they use it for?





Twinning

 That night was one of the best experiences I have had almost ever. All I did was sit in a pub and enjoy the live traditional Irish music and the traditional Irish River Dancing that anyone in the pub who knew how would do. It may not sound anymore fun than any other night out, but the atmosphere was unlike anything I have ever felt before; everyone was so cheerful and good-hearted. We had even lucked out to get the best seats in the bar with the best view of the band and the dancing area in front of them.
Traditional Irish dancing to some traditional Irish music! Regarding the title of this post. Yes, it's true. And no, I cannot dance like this, I did not continue my river dancing lessons, needless to say.

Something I learned is that even though the color green is used to celebrate St. Patrick, his color was blue. He was also the guy, who wasn't even Irish, who came in the 5th century and converted the whole country from Pagans to Christians. That's supposedly why the Celtic cross has the circle over the cross, to represent one of the Gods the Irish believed in before St. Patrick came. This may be my cynical side showing, but I find it slightly humorous that this nation dedicates a whole day to someone who came and told them what they believed was wrong and that they should worship God and Jesus Christ. I have learned about the spread of Christianity throughout Europe, but it feels a lot more real actually being here. Regardless, I had a blast celebrating it my own, American, self. 

On Wednesday, we visited Blarney Castle (and kissed the Blarney Stone, of course), the town of Cobh, and a Wildlife Park. Blarney Castle and the surround gardens were beautiful and definitely exceeded any expectations I had. Unfortunately, I didn’t get any pictures of me kissing the Blarney Stone, aka the stone of eleoquence, but I promise you I did. You had to lay down and kiss it upside down, but it was worth it for the gift of gab for seven years. As legend has it, well actually, there are several legends regarding the stone, so if you are really curious I'll let you look it up, but my favorite involves Cormac McCarthy, a speech impediment, and a witch. 


Blarney Castle

Barred window of Blarney Castle

Slightly creepy and cramped passage of Blarney Castle

A little Irish humor

View of some of the grounds from the Castle

This was the widest part of the winding staircase...


Stairs, on stairs, on stairs

It looked like a fairytale 

Blarney mansion

Not quite sure what to call this.

 Cobh, which is the Irish word for Cove, and was called Queenstown while under British rule, was the last stop the Titanic made before its infamous journey across the Atlantic, and was also the last piece of Ireland nearly 3 million emigrants saw of their home.

Cobh, aka Cove, aka Queenstown

Past the island is where the Titanic docked for the very last time

The two McGowan's that boarded the Titanic from Cobh!

Apparently the Wildlife Park is a huge attraction in Cork, even though most animals there are not native to Ireland. I will never understand zoo's and wildlife parks and why humans think we can coop up animals for the pleasure of our eyes, but it was either this or the Jameson Whiskey storehouse, so what I mean is it was the Wildlife Park.

Cheeeeeta is velveeeeta! Shout out to Leadership Camp, CVFC, MASC/MAHS, and particularly Michael Nafso, and my lovely Little, Alyssa Schoenherr. 

Oh, hey.

Penguin

I keep wanting to say Stork, but Pelican

Lemur

Kangaroo


 Our last day in Cork was dedicated the exploring the city a little bit more, so we did two self-led walking tours, then explored the beautiful University College Cork campus. Then we were off on our last coach bus to our final destination: Dublin.

Observation of the Day: I have yet to start noticing the effects of the Stone of Eloquence. Although gab is intended to mean speaking eloquently, I think my mom's side of the family already has this gift in the modern sense of the world. I love all of you McGowan's who are reading this, and I love our "gabby" family :]