Thursday, March 12, 2015

Glass Half Full (But What's Wrong With A Glass Half Empty?): Day 50

I have survived finals week unscathed. My Italian exam got pushed back because my professors philosophy is that if we’re not prepared yet due to her two absences, she’s not going to rush things. I don’t have any exams at all in my Screenwriting class, so he just decided to give us homework over break… oh well, I can’t complain too much! My Film Genres exam was all short answers and essays, and my thoughts were all over the place during the exam, so hopefully my essays actually make some sense to him. And finally, for painting, all we had was a review of our work so far, and she didn’t even end up looking at mine - she just gave me some advice on my current painting, which I finished within the class time, and then gave me a new challenging project to work on.

I spent a lot of time in the art studio this week finishing my painting I started last week, and starting a new one slightly out of my comfort zone. I really love using oils and painting portraits and fine details, but Painting I only uses acrylics, so details have been challenging me. In a conversation I had with my professor, she said when you first start painting you need to try all sorts of things and not be afraid it’s going to look horrible. It really clicked then why she wasn’t letting me do everything my style. And she’s right, I always think my abstract art looks horrible, but it really expands my artistic ability anyways.

I wished her a wonderful spring break, promised to buy her some biscuits from Ireland, her homeland, and went on my way, ending the first half of my semester abroad and beginning my spring break! Tomorrow, I am off to Ireland for the week!

Observation of the Day: This will be my first spring break ever! I have never actually taken a vacation anywhere for Spring Break, so my second one may be a little underwhelming after the awesome trip Kasey and I have planned for this one!