Sunday, March 29, 2015

A's, Waves, and Galley Slaves: Day 67

The first two in the title of this post are relevant, but third I just found it slightly humorous that it was a choice when I googled "words that rhyme with wave." 

Galley Slave: 
noun: a slave condemned to row in a galley 
noun: a laborer who is obliged to do menial work
(http://www.rhymezone.com/r/d=galley_slave) 

Not that I find slavery humorous at all. Also, "googled," a hundred percent a verb now. And I definitely had to use a calculator to figure out 9x7 to add up what day it is. If any of this tells you about the state of mind I am in...


I got on A on my first midterm! This class (Film Genres) is for my major, so that’s always a good sign. I have my other midterm (for italiano) on Wednesday, April 1st. Wish me luck, I’ll need it. For some reason, I am struggling learning basic Italian more than I ever did Spanish and French, and I actually have a reason to learn it here. Maybe I just think I’m struggling. Or maybe I’m not putting in enough time, even though I’m only taking twelve credits I’m always busy with other homework for Screenwriting and Painting… and traveling, can’t forget that.

I started a new painting from a picture of the crazy, crashing waves at the Wormhole on Inismor.  My professor scared me with some talk of it taking me a while, so I think it’s going to be pretty challenging. My next painting is going to be either a portrait or an eye and on a canvas, I’ve been craving my style!

I’ve also been craving making a short film, so I took the initiative, got some people together, and started brainstorming and scripting. I have a feeling I’m going to be doing a lot of the work because most of these people have never made a short film before, but that’s okay! More experience for me! We’ll see how it turns out…

The strangest thing happened to me on Friday: a very elderly woman buzzed the door of our apartment, so I opened the door to see who it was. She began speaking in Italian very fast and asking questions, I tried my best to listen and understand, but all I could understand was that she was looking for someone and she thought they were here. Jen and I, who was at the table, kept saying “non parlo italiano”, “non lo so”, and “non capisco”, but she just kept talking and asking questions. It was very awkward and very uncomfortable.

And I’ve been surprisingly homesick. I honestly don’t remember ever being homesick in my teen/young adult years, so it’s a strange feeling for me. I really think it’s because the language barrier; I got comfortable in Ireland speaking English so I had to get used to not understanding anyone again, but I wasn’t expecting it this time. Mostly I miss movie nights with my best friend, and facilitating at leadership events with my favorite CVFC and LAS people, getting Chinese with my roommates, and even back to my high school days spending time with my family. And oddly enough, I miss grass. I had the urge to sit down and stretch in grass today, and yeah, can’t exactly do that in Rome. I thought about all of this for a hot sec, then reminded myself that I’m in Rome and was fine. I only have six weeks left – excuse me while I sob – so I have to make the most of it!


Observation of the Day: massaging scar tissue is not fun. And it makes my shins hurt. Don’t judge me because I have never had surgery before, so I was unaware (thank you to my Doctors) that I could have some serious scar tissue growth. That could feel like bone. Until you press it and it leaves a dent. So now I need to massage my shins every day to break up the tissue. Despite this small inconvenience, I am still completely grateful that I was able to get the surgery and am able to walk and run normal again!