Monday, January 26, 2015

Ready.. Set... Class!: Day 5

And then classes began….

I actually really enjoyed my first day of classes! Even though we only had three full days here of being just a tourist, it was nice to begin a routine that grounds me a little bit. Walking through the busy garden and up the spiral staircase to my classes with other students made me feel like I’m actually going to be living in Rome for the next three and a half months and studying here, and not just wandering the streets and being, well, a tourist!

I have three classes on Monday and Wednesday, and only one on Thursday. My first class was Introduction to Italian Language and Culture, and it was a little intimidating because my professor (Professoressa Lucy) came and started speaking in Italian right away. She actually didn’t speak any English until the end of the class when she used it to say this was the last time she was going to use it! But I’m not worried. I actually learned a lot (although it will take some time to retain and use it all correctly), and she knows that we’re all beginners and will be patient as long as we keep trying!

Mi chiamo Eliza. Io sono Americana. Io sono di Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. A Roma, io sono una studentessa all’ American Univerisity. Io sto benessimo oggi!

This is basically what I learned, plus a little bit more, and how to ask some questions like Come stai oggi? or How are you today?

My next class was Adapting Literature to the Screen – I’M GOING TO LOVE IT! It’s basically a Learn How to Write A Screenplay by Using Literature. As an aspiring film director and screenwriter, this class is perfect for me! Plus, it counts as a University Program requirement. There were ten people in the class, so we’re going to get a lot of opportunity to get feedback from our professor (who has been a professional in the industry for almost thirty years) and each other.

I had a two hour break between Screenwriting and my next class, so Jennifer and I want to a sandwich shop owned and run by the Santi brothers, and I got pizza bread with salami, prosciutto, and smoked mozzarella – it was surprisingly delicious.



We walked to the Doria Pamphilj park to eat them, then found a gelatteria in the area and got my second serving of gelato. This time I got chocolate chip with chocolate and the combination was dangerous!














My last class of the day was Film Genres, which I think will be very interesting, and also counts toward my BCA major at Central, so it’s a beautiful combination! For the last twenty minutes of class we started Chicago, so yeah, I’m going to love this class too!

After class I finally went grocery shopping, so now I have food in my home! The exciting things that really shouldn’t be so exciting… Now I’m looking forward to trying different meats and cheeses and breads and pastas and the list goes on and on and on. Although I need to find some contact solution pronto because all I brought was a little travel bottle.

Observation of the Day: I am living in Rome for almost four months! It’s still trying to sink in that I will actually be here for more than a visit… my question now is how am I going to leave…?