Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Anticipation: Day 0

You know that feeling that you get when you’re going up the hill of a roller coaster? It’s like your stomach is knotted with the anticipation and your nerves are all frazzled and making your heart beat a little fast. You have to keep taking deep breaths to ground yourself, because YOU are the one who was SO excited to go on the ride. And then the cart reaches the peak and you plunge forward so fast that you leave all feeling behind and can only concentrate on the thrill.  Well, I’m still waiting for that last part.

Everything I haven’t been nervous for yet is there right now; what if something’s wrong with the plane and I don’t get there in time, what if I don’t like my roommates or make any friends there, or what if they don’t like me? What if I dislike my classes or professors or they are really hard for me? What if my Compartments Syndrome comes back and its painful to walk too far, or what if my surgery made it worse?  

And then I think, I AM GOING TO BE IN ROME TOMORROW. It doesn’t matter how scary it seems right now because I know I can tough it through anything. Once I get settled in, have time to adjust to the culture a little bit, and don’t feel lost every time I take two steps, then the experience is only what I make of it. My knots will go away, and my worries will either go away or challenge me to face them. It’s natural to be nervous while stepping this far out of my comfort zone – I’ve never lived in a city or even been out of the country!

I’ll just take this one day at a time. Today, I woke up, left my best friend’s house, met my dad in Mt. Pleasant, drove to the Detroit Airport, checked in, and am now waiting to board my first connection to Amsterdam! I leave in 1 hour and 15 minutes. The journey begins!


Observation of the day: people in an airport are very interesting. Everyone has a different reason for traveling, a different destination, a different mindset and body language, and a million different things in their luggage.