Friday, May 8, 2015

Chances Are I'll Come Back Someday: Day 107

So I finally made it to the Baths of Diocletian Museum. I have been wanting to go there for a long time and finally had a good time to do it! The museum was huge, and there was so much to see! I had a wonderful morning in the museum and the part of the Baths that are open, and then I walked around the corner and visited the Santa Maria Maggiore again! This is definitely one of the most beautiful churches in Rome in my opinion.









There's Hercules in the middle on the left!





Another panel of the inspiration for my final painting



Afterwards, I decided to walk home from the Baths, which are right by Termini train station, which is about two and a half miles from where I live. At this point in the day, it was sunny and humid and hot, so I definitely worked up a sweat! I stopped in some leather shops along the way and bought a few gifts for friends back home. Then I went to the market at Campo Dei Fiori and bought the purse I had my eye on the last time I looked there, and also some delicious fruit from the fruit stand.

While carrying an “I <3 Shopping” bag looking like a fool without even knowing it, I got some sorbet at my favorite gelato place right on the Tiber River, and some pizza at a pasticceria/pizzeria (pasta means pastry) along Viale Trastevere and had it for lunch when I got home.

I cooled off in my apartment in the afternoon, made dinner, and then was off to the Vatican again to meet some friends from my Italian class and see the Vatican Museums at night! It was more crowded than I was expecting, but it was really nice to go back and see everything again. The museums were one of the first things I did in Rome, and now they are one my last.







Michelangelo painted by Raphael





We sat in the Sistine chapel for a long time and just appreciated how lucky we were to have that opportunity in the first place. Plus we let our feet rest, because we had all walked a lot during the day!

Observation of the Day: I don't think I could ever run out of things to do in this city. One of my roommates was telling me about their teacher who has lived here his whole life and said he still gets lost going places... makes me feel a little better about confusing my directions all the time!