Saturday, April 11, 2015

Graveyards and Zombies: Day 80

I began my day with the Catacombs of St. Sebastian and ended it with the musical Carmen.

These Catacombs are the largest in Rome, still owned by the Vatican stretching about 30 acres and four levels deep, although you can only enter the second where there is now electricity. 16 Popes were buried here as well as St. Christina, who supposedly survived three different attempts on her life before she finally died, but very little remains after the Barbarians ravaged the possessions left in the graves during the 9th century.  Besides being a little spooky, the Catacombs were very interesting to see, and I learned a lot about them. They are also located on the Apia Antica, or the Apian Way, which is the oldest road in Rome at something like 312 BC. 



 I worked on homework for the rest of the day, until it was time to go see Carmen.  I’m not complaining because our tickets were only 13 euro, but we had the worst possible seats in the whole theater and I couldn’t see half of the stage. Also, the play was in Italian (obviously), so I had no idea what was going on for just about the entire time. With that being said, it was still very entertaining! The singing was great, and the band was really quite amazing! I was very confused when the man who was murdered came back to life at the end of the play, but like I said, I didn't really understand anything that was happening...

Teatro di Roma - Argentina


Observation of the Day: I can’t imagine ever running out of things to do in Rome. It’s such a lively city so full of history and important landmarks, and really, it doesn’t take much to entertain me. There are still a few more things I really want to do while I’m here, so you’ll be reading about all my final adventures in Rome for the next month!